During my senior year of college, my cross country team would go to Chipotle at least twice a week. We couldn’t get enough. After a hard workout, heck even after a easy run, that first bite of burrito tasted like gold. We always sat at the same booth, we laughed, and we bonded.
Flash forward to a couple of months ago when I went to Chipotle for the first time in a really long time and I ordered a steak burrito for Jerrod and a steak quesadilla for me because I wasn’t that hungry. Do you want to know how much it cost for 1 burrito and 1 quesadilla? This was with no guac, no chips, no drinks.
$18. $18 flippin’ dollars! What the heck. I haven’t been back there since.
Instead, I made my own and you should too.
Crockpot Chicken Burrito Bowls (adapted from This Gal Cooks)
Serves 2 Humans for dinner and 2 lunches
I apologize that this photo includes a dirty tupperware, a ton of fruit, and lots of shine. Took it on my iPhone before I threw everything in the Crockpot and then ran out the door to go to an…outlet mall. Priorities! 😉
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 heaping cup (or more) of black beans*
- 1 tomato (I wish I had used 2)
- 1 can green chilis (4 oz)
- 12 oz beer (1 can or 1 bottle) – I used a Belgian-Style Pale because that’s literally all I had. Your favorite would work fine!
- 2-3 tbsp of taco seasoning**
- 2-3 tbsp of cornstarch
- Salt (add to your taste)
- Rice, cooked (I used Basmati because I wanted to finish the bag)
- Toppings – salsa, hot sauce, avocado, guac, cheese, cilantro, lettuce…choose whatever you like!
*I used black beans that had soaked overnight – feel free to use canned that are drained if you’d like. If you do use soaked beans, make sure to add 1-2 C of water to Crockpot!
**Packets of taco seasoning kind of freak me out – they just taste off…so I use Iowa Girl Eat’s homemade recipe and tweak it to my preference. It is DELICIOUS. Perfect combination of spices. Here’s what I use:
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (use smoked, use smoked!)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 (heaping) or more of red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp oregano
(If you make this, note that you’ll want to use about 1/4 C of water/liquid to mix)
- Spray Crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Put chicken breasts, tomatoes and black beans into the Crockpot
- Whisk together taco seasoning and beer – pour into Crockpot
- Top the mixture with the chilis
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (I cooked mine for around 8.5)
- Once cooked, whisk in a few shakes of cornstarch. I had added water because of my soaked beans and it was a little soupy. I added probably 3 shakes and that thickened it a bit. You won’t want it too thick though because the juices really add to the bowl and soak into the rice.
- Put some rice (cooked) into bowls and put the chicken & toppings in the order that you like! Serve with a fresh fruit Margarita (recipe to come soon! – it’s really delicious).
Don’t even get me started on how adorable this succulent is.