You know how sometimes you share weird, random facts about yourself and your life and other people just don’t really get it? A prime example is when I was in junior high, and boys started to really look at my face. If you know me, I’m sure you’ve noticed that I have two different colored eyes. I am a true Huskie Human. Anywho, those boys (two in particular) were on the bus ride home with me one day and out of nowhere, we started talking about random things about each other. I told them that I had two colored eyes, and their response to that was, “OHHH so you can only see two different colors?” Being the nice person that I am, I of course told them, “No, I can see all colors just like you.” Should have told them I could only see blue and green.
You want to know another random fact? Trust me, I’ve got plenty of them. Okay, here it is: I spent my childhood eating asparagus that was picked out of ditches. Does that freak you out? I’ve told people that, and they just don’t get it. They look at me and say things like, “You’re such a farmer’s daughter” (yes, yes, I am), and “You’re so weird…” (yes, yes, I am). Have you ever had asparagus out of a ditch? Bet not. But you should try it. Hire my brother. He’ll find you the best pickin’s.
To honor my love for ditch asparagus, here is a fresh, light, quick dinner dish for a week night. It’s cheesy, healthy, and filling! Sadly, the asparagus did not come from a ditch.
Pesto Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Roasted Asparagus (adapted from Damn Delicious)
Serves 2 humans for dinner and 2 lunches
- 8 oz. pasta (I used Ditalini because I had exactly 8 oz left – any kind of pasta would do)
- Asparagus, trimmed (amount to your liking) – I used about 1/2 a pound
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Cracked pepper to your liking
- Pinch of salt (or to your liking)
- Red Pepper Flakes to your liking
- 1 tsp. Ground basil (or to your liking)
- 1/3 C Sundried tomatoes in olive oil (I found mine at Trader Joe’s!)
- 1/2 C Pesto (I also got mine from TJ’s – I haven’t made my own yet…)
- 1/3 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan to your liking
- Boil water and cook your pasta. Drain.
- As the pasta is cooking, preheat your oven to 425, spray a baking sheet, and place your asparagus on it. Drizzle the olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and basil over it and gently toss to coat. Roast asparagus for 8-12 minutes. I forgot about mine (even though my timer went off) and roasted for about 14 minutes – turned out perfect. Once it has cooled a little, cut it into bite sized pieces.
- Add pasta to a large bowl, top with pesto, asparagus, tomatoes, and cheese. Feel free to add more pepper, salt, basil, and red pepper flakes to your liking. Use a large spoon to combine. Drool.
Another fun fact. I’ve had that pan up there ^ since sophomore year of college (8 years ago….waaah) when I walked to Walgreens and bought it with a bag of chicken nuggets. College life?
All I see is cheese. Give me alllll the cheese.
Serve with warm, crusty bread and lemon water or even a white wine! Also, I promise you that my dog gets fed dog food, even though he knows how to eat off a fork (sigh) and appreciates a good, crunchy vegetable that falls on the floor.