As I sit here drinking my peppermint tea, I really wish I was drinking a margarita next to a beach with the sun beating down on me. Unfortunately, I live in the central part of the Midwest and am a several hour plane ride away from said beach. Sigh.
To make up for a lack of beach, we combined some things into what sounded like the perfect waveside drink and then jealously toasted to those lucky fellows who are currently sipping on margs with the waves crashing in the background. I’m not bitter at all.
I know that you can pretty much find strawberries at all times of the year now, and I know in a couple of months that they’ll be perfect and crisp and juicy, however, I love them so much and will gladly buy them even if they aren’t at their prime. I let about half a pint sit in my fridge for a bit too long and I knew I needed to use them fast, so they became this…
Strawberry Margarita Punch (adapted from The Cookie Rookie)
Serves way more than 2 humans – I’m guessing between 8-10
- 1/2 pint of strawberries, washed, hulled, and chopped in quarters
- 2 clementines/mandarins/minneolas/or even one orange, peeled and split apart
- 1 can frozen juice concentrate – we went with Apple Kiwi Strawberry
- 4 C water
- 2 C orange juice
- 4 C strawberry pop
- 1 1/2 C tequila (optional)
- 1/4 C sugar
- 2 tbsp. lime juice (we used Nellie & Joes!)
1. Add strawberries, citrus fruit,1 C water, and sugar to a food processor & pulse/blend/frappe/heyhey until smooth.
2. Pour strawberry blend into a very large pitcher (turns out we don’t have one of those so a large bowl it was!), and add in everything else and stir until combined.
3. Pour into beachy glasses, curl a straw, garnish with a strawberry, think of the ocean.
Fun stuff: If I made this again, I would add some sherbet or sorbet to make it even more punchy. Also, since we had so much left over, we froze some, refrigerated some, and made boozy popsicles. Trust me, this recipe makes a lot.
Why yes, that is boozy popsicles surrounded by 5,000 bags of frozen kale and spinach (for smoothies!), tater rounds, and frozen fruit and peas. You really won’t find much else besides this in our freezer (other than meat).
It’s Saturday…you deserve this!